Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 1994 13:04:10 EDT
From:         cchubb@ida.org (Chris Chubb)
Subject:      Re: Battery Purchases

All this speak of buying batteries reminds me of when I went to get a new battery for my '71 Bus. (Turned out to be a bad positive clamp)

At the FLAPS, they looked up my bus in the computer, said I needed the 550 CCA model, type 'A' , on sale for $39.00. We went over to the rack, and saw a whole lone of 550 CCA batteries. Types 'A' through 'E'.

The Type 'A' weighed about 35 lbs. The type 'E' wieghed about 55 lbs. Both were rated at 550 CCA. Both were the same price. I told the guy that I wanted the model 'E'. He said the computer says model 'A'.

Well,, many foul and uncivilized words were traded as I tried to explain that a battery that weighs half again as much, has about twice the lead surface area and acid volume was the one for me. Fir the same price.

Now, this may be a problem for a Honda Civic, whose engine compartment is too small to store a dipstick rag, but I can carry a case of oil on ONE side of the engine compartment. The only thing I was worried about was the structural integrity of the 'Blessed' (Holy) metal under the current battery. So some 3/4 inch plywood later, I jacked that heavy mother in there, and all was peachy.

I have since left the lights on for two days straight, and still fired the car right up!

Dont let them sell you the battery that the computer or book says is for your car. Get the most CCAs you can afford, then get the biggest battery that will still fit the vehicle. Most books list a smaller one.

--- Chris Chubb (cchubb@ida.org) __________________________________________________________________________ \All opinions expressed or implied may not reflect those of the Institute \ \for Defense Analyses, the US Government, or anyone else. \ --------------------------------------------------------------------------