Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 1994 14:12:01 -0400
From:         pwilliam@emr1.emr.ca (Peter Williams)
Subject:      No ... It really was a bird nest!

I have got a couple of replies regading my avian domicile infestation and just want to clarify things. My van has spent the last couple of years stored in a barn, and it is actually a real bird nest in the air filter, including a few baked feathers, but luckily (especially for the bird) nothing more. I have no idea why a bird would choose an air filter to nest in, considering it would have to squeeze into the engine compartment and up the air filter hoses to build the nest.

Anyway, I think I know why the van had such a strange odour when I bought it!

Here is my original post

>What would be the effect on performance if the regular air filter in a 73 >Westy was supplemented by an additional "medium sized bird nest including >a few baked feathers" filter, underneath the pleated paper filter. > >Was this a factory option, or was it more likely to have been installed by >the dealer? Can I still get parts (twigs, wool) or will I have to replace >the entire "bird nest" as an assembly?

And some answers

It was installed by your VW dealer. The "bird nest" is part of the California emissions equipment. You must have this part on the car (working or not) in order to pass the Calif smog check.

Since you're not in Calif, I'd just remove it.

Jack '73 Westy stafford@zenith.dnet.hac.com :-) :-) :-)

You're lucky this is a'73. On later models these were replaced with a computerised tangle of wires and diodes.

Comment - Poor Bird, desn't sound very comfy for raising a family

It doesn't do a significantly better job of bunging up the filter, but it is a sealed-for-life unit, costs a king's ransom (only available from authorised dealers), has umpteen mystifying connectors and is guaranteed to fail with annoying regularity.

Andy E.

A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk