Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 94 14:31:03 PDT
From:         Stuart Redford <scrpers@hpvcpnpi.vcd.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: question of oil level (II)

Hot oil takes time to move? Ya think so? Sure, I'd expect maybe up to 1/2 pint to be in the pushrod tubes, heads etc.. But, I would think that aftera couple minutes the stick would give a close enough reading. I've never topped off when hot and then found I'd overfilled.

Of course to get a more exact reading, the morning after is more telling (in more than one aspect of this life).

I speak from espeareeince.

My 1st auto was a beater '64 Ford Galaxie 500 4DR.

Rites of Passage....changing my 1st qt. of oil...

I poured the required 5 qts. into that 289, ran the engine, check the stick...no oil. Hmm. Maybe the book was wrong. Walked around the corner to the 76 station, bought 2 more quarts, dumped them, still no oil...

Duh. You know the story.

I don't know how many gallons I put in that block, but I sure learned how to read a dipstick!

wizzer