Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 1994 15:51:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:         H Steven Dolan <dworkin@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: cyl head temp gauge and sub-zero driving

> Steve: Sami's your man, he hasn't put his gauge in yet. Mine's installed > and there are bascally two leads about a 18 inches in length.From that > run two 18 gauge wires to the front gauge. As I understand it you are > saying these will effect the signal? Hmmm. Readings seem to show about > normal temps - 350C but what in your opinion would the readings be if they > were the incorrect length - too high or too low? DC > Too long ought to read low (more resistance = less milliamps to the meter) Too short vice-versa.

The only one I ever installed had factory leads I didn't cut, tho, so I could be wrong.

BTW, since this seems to be my night for posting, I am intrigued by one of your earlier posts on cold weather. I took one trip thru SD in January and experienced many strange automotive effects from the -30's temps. Living as I do in a relatively warm climate, may I ask you (and all others reading this, of course), what adjustments do you make this time of year for:

Steering (10W gear oil?)

Shifting (same?)

Frozen accelerator/parking brake cables?

Where do shock absorbers go for the winter?

Flat spotted tires? (especially 2 blocks later when the flats get out of synch)

Inquiring minds want to know. I know about the 5W30 motor oil, the battery blanket and block heaters, but I had incredible problems with every moving thing on the bus. (And learned to drive in a down sleeping bag)

H Steven Dolan dworkin@netcom.com