Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 94 19:14:02 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: cyl head temp gauge and sub-zero driving

> > BTW, since this seems to be my night for posting, I am intrigued by one > of your earlier posts on cold weather. I took one trip thru SD in > January and experienced many strange automotive effects from the -30's > temps. Living as I do in a relatively warm climate, may I ask you (and > all others reading this, of course), what adjustments do you make this > time of year for: > > Steering (10W gear oil?) > > Shifting (same?) > > Frozen accelerator/parking brake cables? > > Where do shock absorbers go for the winter? > > Flat spotted tires? (especially 2 blocks later when the flats get out of > synch) > I remember when my friends VOLVO froze to the ground and basically his tires became square. The real bugger is working in those temps with bare hands.

No but seriously... there are others on this line who regularly sleep in their Van during cold weather (at ski lodges) who could tell you a bit about prep.

As far as what i do there isn't much except changing to a decent oil, starting with clutch in and plugging in the car over night. Yes shifting might be a little different (to keep revs up initially). We are now conditioned to the idea that the first few miles of driving will involve frosted windows etc.

The big change is in the attitude on the road and at work. Drivers or more cautious (watching SF drivers during fog is to laugh). But at work in really cold areas mosts places have a plug for each car. DC

--

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------