Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 94 09:07:55 MDT
From:         jackr@starfleet.scs.ag.gov
Subject:      Re: Aux. heater questions.

> ?? Does anybody know where the exhaust pipe of the heater is supposed to go > to? My pipe was missing when I bought the Bus ('82 Vanagon). Should it > go all the way back past the engine, or does it go off to the side of the > car?

The exhaust pipe is just an elbow that fits on the end of the heater, that is if we're talking about a BA6 Eberspacher. If we're talking about something else, I wouldn't know. The end of the elbow juts out to the edge of the "skid plate" with a little cap that hangs about an inch past the end of the pipe.

If the tailpipe is missing then the exhaust shoots straight at the tranny.

> > Ya see, when I turn on the auxiliary heater-- which is of the gasoline powered > variety, mounted in line with the heater pipes from the heat exchangers -- > I get a lot of smoke in the cabin. I took the whole thing appart yesterday,

It's probably not set up properly, running too rich and putting out too much smoke. Since the exhaust in below the van the fumes rise up and get sucked into the fresh air intakes at the back of the van. You don't say if this is the first time you've run it or not, whether it worked fine last year, whatever, so it's hard to say if there's a new or existing problem.

Jack jackr@starfleet.scs.ag.gov