Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 94 13:06:36 PDT
From:         dan@jrs.com (Danny Dayton)
Subject:      Re: Fricking headliner panel installation - 60 bus!!

> What ever happened with your headliner installation? I'm gonna have to do > that eventually and could use some tips. Also, did you ever get a chance > to try out that rust-preventative? What's the report? > > --Jonny

Jonny, howzit!

Its been awhile I guess. The panel installation has taken a backseat to other/easier projects lately. After ruining TWO piece of shit pressboard panels I felt like I had to get something done to show for all my time spent in the garage.

I've completely reupholstered my rear seats with red and black flannel (large plaid squares) material and new foam. Happy Bus is a camper (to jog your memory), so I have two seats facing each other with a fold down table in the middle (the table is the next project, as I just found one in a junkyard off of a '62). I ripped out the old material, badding, horsehair (or was that aspestos?), and springs, and then used new foam, an old sheet for torqueing the edges (for that nice rounded look), and the plaid flannel for an outer covering. The seat backs lift off to make a bed that is now extremely comfortable, albeit a little firm.

I've also replaced a cracked vent window, and a cracked slider window in the cab doors. New rubber and felt went in as well. No more whistles! I've also put some tunes in, although the radio is temporarily (permanently?) resting in the tray.

Let's see, back to those panels. I've acquired a new sheet of thin cardboard-type stuff. I believe the "thin" word is the key now. After speaking with guys at BFY and WestCoast Metrics, there is absolutely NO smooth method for inserting these panels. I do know now (after tearing off corners of my pressboard pieces) that they have to slide in from the rear. The final 6 inches where the panel really begins to curve is a bear. Consensus says to use a block of wood and a mallet on the rear edge and beat on it until the thing slides all the way forward. I have yet to get this far! Supposedly, the last 2 inches are the real problem, sheesh, I can't wait. My shoulders are starting to ache just thinking about it. To compound the problem, I'm leaving the original foam that's glued to the sheet metal on the roof in tact. This creates intense pain when particles fall into my eyes. Maybe I'll buy some goggles, but hell, its fun cussing and aching and sweating and ... taking a big swig of an ice cold Guiness.

About the POR-15, too busy messing with other stuff. My third car needs it bad, though. I shouldn't neglect it much longer as holes will be appearing in the roof in no time. It (Honda Accord, 150K, no worries) sits on the street where it receives a good dose of salty moisture from the ocean every night. I'll let you know how the Honda goes. Happy Bus is a much larger, time consuming project, as there are rust colonies in several areas. Keep dinging me about it and I'll have get to it, whether I like it or not. I'm such a damn croprastinator d:-)

Well, sorry for the ramblings, but its nice to spill your guts to someone who at least has a slight interest, and can relate, you know?

Headed to South Carlsbad State Beach for Fri and Sat night surf camp. Sleeping in Happy. Man is this day slow.

Danny D.