Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 02 Oct 94 21:13:24 CDT
From:         "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Five Year Dream Car Pick

>On Sun, 2 Oct 1994, Will Self wrote: > Okay, everyone, I think we should have our own "Five Year Dream Car Pick." > Same rules, which for your convenience I reproduce here: > > ..each was asked to pick the car, any car, > he wished. BUT! there's some gotchas! (I think joel meant "catches", but > I think maybe "gotchas" and "catches" are pronounced identically in > Alabamese.)

not exactly, but close. a 'catch' is something that snags you, holds you up, or costs you money ... but you sort of expected it. a 'gotcha' is a catch that you really didn't expect and kinda blind-sides you and grabs you by the short-and-curly's, and kinda takes your breath away for a second. so, i guess, these are really more 'catches' that 'gotchas'. ;)

> 1. they had to live with the car they chose for five years. > 2. it was to be their only automobile in those five years. > 3. they had to drive it daily to work, to the 7-11, across the country, and > through michigan winters. > 4. after five years, they would give the car back, without depreciation > affecting him in any way. > 5. they would, however, have to foot the bill for maintenance, fuel, tires; > all non-warranty upkeep would be dollars dragged from their personal > savings.

Alistair "heel be bach" Bell said: > I hate to admit it but I would get one of those Humvee (sp), > jeep on steroids thing. Rig some sort of camper add-on, or > maybe a pop-top, yeh thats it a hummer with a pop top! > The attraction is a car that can go more places, tow things, and > looks better when scratched.

i have to say that i thought it was a bit odd that a Hummer didn't make it into the list. but that's them, and this is us.

and Ric, the legal-aide, said he want ALL the rules 'splained before he commits in writing his choice. :) so ok. we do TWO cars. one new, one of any year.

new: hmmmm. this is harder than i thought. the luxo-lardass in me would pick a E320 Diesel Mercedes-Benz. 840 miles on 23.8 gallons of diesel fuel. $42,000. but the insurance and the dealer maintenance would eat you up. the Hummer would be nice. good choice for all round Brutal Intimidation, both on the road and in the parking lot. but i don't do a lot of off-road stuff now, so i probably wouldn't use its abilities much. Eurovan? nah. if i thought i could live with it for five years, i'd already have one.

hmph. i just can't think of a NEW car that i would really want to have that much. seriously. even free. especially as my only car. i've been through that small-car-only-car stage, and a van as an only car is much better imho. but i don't fancy any of the new vans enough to take one.

used: well, as silly as it seems, i guess i'd take a vanagon. maybe a syncro double-cab pickup. :) yeah. neato.

joel