Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 01 Oct 94 09:44:39 CDT
From:         "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Planning Trip--Tips?

On Sat, 1 Oct 94 01:01:30 CDT Tobin Copley said: >76, and aside from some rust in the wheel wells, etc, a coupla split >boots (cross yer fingers for the CVs!), and a sink pump that doesn't

NONONONONONONONONONO!!!! DO NOT let those cv joint boots stay that way!!! you'll only destroy the joints inside and wind up paying Bubba and Clyde some outrageous amount of cash for some crappy used parts somewhere in Nowhere, AZ!!! seriously, buy four new boots (cost about $15 each) and put them on, after cleaning and re-greasing the joints with 1/2 tube of Valvoline Moly EP grease (comes in a paper tube, costs about $1.50 per tube) in each joint/boot. yeah, it's a lot of grease for one little joint, but those little plastic tubes of vw grease are never enough. it's a very messy job, so wear old old old clothes that you were planning on burning anyway. :)

seriously, do NOT go on this trip with torn cv joint boots. you WILL regret it and it WILL cost you lots of time and money. please put new boots and grease on the joints before you go.

and get some sort of cb radio to take with you. or better yet, a ham radio if you have a license. or cellular phone. but the cb is cheaper and if you stay on highways that still have truckers, more useful. also more useful out in the boondocks cause not many rednecks have ham radios or cellulars. :)

>Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, along Northern roads into NM to Santa Fe, to >Alamogordo, back to San Diego along southern routes through NM, AZ, CA.

definitely see grand canyon. don't have to stay long, but it IS impressive. sort of an inverted canadian rockies. :) meteor crater at winslow, az, east of flagstaff is prett impressive ... if you like big holes in the ground. :)

>MI, IL, IA (see my Grandma!), up through Minnesota, into Manitoba, and >west back to Vancouver.

oh my aching back!!! you'd better get some MUCH better seats for the front of your bus. see if you can find some later model vanagon seats ... they should fit ok, and they are MUCH more comfortable. and take lots of rest stops.

>We got three months, 'cause Christa in taking a 3 month leave of absence >for this trip.

uhhh ... you want my opinion? you ain't gonna have enough time to do all this! :) most likely you'll wind up streaking across the southeast u.s. to make it to the northeast, then flying low back home. maybe in SIX months you could do it all, but i had figured two months for me to drive from alabama to alaska and back, without a whole lot of stopping at all in the u.s. ... so my advice would be not to dawdle at every little place along the first part of the trip ... or you will find yourself running behind schedule. ;)

>BTW, bought oil pressure and temp (w/ dual sender) senders and gauges >yesterday, as consensus seems to be these are a good insurance policy >against cooking one's engine. Maybe the spare tire/anti-seize lug bolt >theorem holds here as well?

uhhhh... don't put anti-seize on the oil pressure sender! it needs to be conductive (ground) and the anti-seize will sheild the threads from each other. He Who Knows The Hard Way. :)

well ... at least you are doing this right: planning far enough ahead of time. by the time we all get through with giving you advice, you won't know whether to shit or go blind! :) wish i was going with you. :(

joel