Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         14 Oct 1994 09:00:13 +1000
From:         "King, Robert" <king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au>
Subject:      Smog laws and LPG conversions

To: Air-Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List

We don't (yet) have smog or emission conformity laws/regulations in Australia. Our RWC's (Road Worthiness Certificates) are largley based around mechanical aspects relating to vehicle safety - brakes, glass, lights, suspension, exhaust etc etc.

Are conversions to liquid petroleum gas (LPG - a by product of the distillation process) available in the U.S? What ids the price of LPG (if available)? As I understand it any engine running on LPG will met the most stringent emission laws because no lead and 'minute' levels of hydrocarbons are produced....

LPG conversions are gaining in popularity in Australia because petrol (gasoline) sells for around 70 cents a litre in metropolitan areas (and more in remore areas - convert to price per gallon and *GULP*). LPG sells around 20 cents per litre.

The down side with LPG is a loss in energy (around 15%) and the fact you have to fit a 50 - 70 ltr gas cylinder in somewhere (although a range of cylinders that can be fitted unobtrusively to various models have appeared in AUS). We run the slug (Ford wagon) on LPG and I have seriously thought about converting the 76 bus....

Fuel injected and carby engines can be converted. My brother-in-law fitted a 13B bridgeport rotary to his Kombi and had that running on gas too (not very hard to do - the hassle being the cooling...)

Unmodified engines can run on LPG but there are some valve/guide problems with some older stock engines because LPG doesn't lubricate as well as petrol...but modify an older engine with hardened valves, seats and guides and you're cooking! According to VW Australia most VWs after 72 can be run on LPG without any mods......

I think the ideal situation would be to make the LPG mods, maybe accompanied by a couple of performance mods (to compensate for the loss of energy associated with the fuel) and never worry about smog laws (or having to go electric?) again.....Any thoughts?

Rob K _________________________ Robert King king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au

72 Bug 76 Bus 62 Microbus (long term relaxation project) and a 57 125cc Lambretta