Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 1994 18:59:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      Re: Painting Pop Top

>On Thu, 13 Oct 1994, Thom Fitzpatrick wrote: > >Sorry to disagree, Thom, but Gelcoat is a two part pigmented epoxy resin >that is used as the exterior coat on fiberglass boats. It is very hard, >and as a consequence, a bit brittle. Fiberglass is, however the same resin >bulked up and reinforced with glass fibers, so bonding between the two

Uh, but I was still right - it is a coating. I looked into using it to repair a surfboard and I was steered away from it because of the need for anaerobic curing, amongs other reasons. Technically, fiberglass is the woven mat or roving, consisting of spun fibers, used to form the part, to which the resin is applied to make it hard. The gelcoat helps seal the final layer of resin. Pigments may also be added to this resin, but are completely optional. The higher the quality the resin, too, the clearer it will be, but the really clear resins don't seem to have the strength of the "industrial" resins.

MekPeroxide is used as the catalyst, and MekKetone can be used as a thinner; I don't know the components of gelcoat.

Speaking from my surboard-shaping experience, one would use a laminating resin to put the layers of mat (or roving) together. Laminating resin does not contain any surfacing waxes which "cure" the finish. A sanding resin can then be applied, which some people will use a very hot coat of laminating resin with a small amount of wax. Or you can go straight to a hot coat of finishing resin, and sand it and buf it to get a nice shine.

In this instance, the gelcoat would be used instead of the finishing resin. In either case, we want someting that will seal up the top and keep the glass fibers from seeking liberty in the winds of life. Whether or not it would actually be practical in this case is another story.

There are also pre-formulated marine resins, pre-pigmented and all, that can be painted on after the addition of catalyst, and I've also seen some that don't need a catalyst, but I haven't tried any.

Martha, are you getting all this?

Thom -- >> Double your drive space - delete Windows! ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................