Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Oct 1994 13:33:06 +0100 (MET DST)
From:         mty016 <mty016@coventry.ac.uk>
Subject:      2.0 litre vacuum conections

About 2 years ago, the 1600 in my bus expired and I was offered a cheap 2 litre, so I thought I would give it ago.

Well its been in for some time and hauls me around quite nicely, however, not having a manual for that covers this engine (my Haynes only covers the 1600 version), and it being Friday afternoon and work seems *very* hard to do, a couple of questions spring to mind.

Firstly, what is the correct way to connect all the vacuum points on the engine. I've got the vaccumm from the left hand carb connected straight to the dizzy advance/retard, the way I would expect it to be on any other car. However, the right hand arm of the air box has a thermostatic type switch which I think should be in the circuit somewhere? Then there is the pipe that runs between the carbs. This has a small `box' in the middle with another pick off point. I've just blanked this off, and as the engine seems to run fine, it stayed like that. Where should it go?

Secondly, I would like to balance the carbs. I took the van along to the local carb place (with a big Solex sign hanging outside), to see how much he would charge, but he refuses to touch vw campers?!?

So how can I go about this. I've a set of vacuum gauges, which work fine when balancing the carbs on my bike, but the bike has pick off points on the inlet manifolds which make the job easy. If I understand the carb set up on the van, the left hand carb controls the fuel to all cylinders at tick over, which leads me to wonder about where I should be trying to get the vacuum reading(s) and at what rpm?

Well this all appears to be very confused, but any ideas/answers would be appreciated and would give me an excuse to leave early and go and play with the van :)

Marcus -- __ Marcus Grant mty016@uk.ac.coventry