Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Oct 1994 11:03:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Garth <dgarth@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu>
Subject:      hot water...another way to do it.

As some of you may remember, recently I added hot water to my Westfalia. That scheme, which involved using a heat exchanger and a pump worked fine, but it did have a few disadvantages. As Derek pointed out, it would be vulnerable to freezing. And I didn't like the fact that the water pump had to run for 20 minutes to heat the water. So I've installed a new system that I think is better, simpler, and more efficient. (As was the case with my first try, this system heats all the water in the tank to shower temperature, so another source of drinking water is necessary.)

I've now run a coolant loop, teed from the rear heater, through 1/4" copper tubing to the water tank. Inside the tank is a 15 foot coil of tubing, coiled small enough to fit through the top opening. The hot coolant heats all 13 gallons in about 20 minutes of freeway driving.

The problem with set ups like this is usually not heating the water, but keeping it from heating the water too much. Here's how I solved that problem:

>From a water bed heater control ($10 new) I removed the thermosat. I adjusted it so it could be set at 105 degrees. From the W.W. Grainger, Inc. industrial catalog(800-225-5994) I ordered a high temperature selenoid valve (1a582) and 24 volt AC selenoid. ($90. From past experience I knew that 24 volt AC selenoids work great on 12-14V DC).

It works like this. When the engine is running, 12 volts from the refrigerator relay goes through the "water heater" switch, then through the thermostat. If the water is less than 103 degrees, the 12 volts goes to the selenoid valve, which opens, letting hot coolant flow though the tank loop and heating it. As soon as the water temp reaches 105, the valve closes, until the water temp drops below 103.

I tested various materials in the oven at 250 degrees to see if the hot coolant line would cause problems. Neither rubber nor polyethylene seems to be phased by it. So I used rubber grommets through the tank top for the coolant loop tubing. The fail safe nature of the system is a plus. If the selenoid valve fails, it will be closed.

Hot water and a pump powered hand shower really make the van more usuable for us.

As before, I'd be glad to help anyone who wants to do this...either e-mail or phone (805-543-2046 pacific daylight time) is fine.

Dave Garth San Luis Obispo, CA '86 Westfalia