Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 94 12:22:24 -0500
From:         walshp@ippdsgi3.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil (Pat Walsh)
Subject:      Re:  1700CC reinstall

Dan MacMillan writes: >1. TWee to put the heat exchanger/muffler back into the exhaust ports as one u >unit, and _boy_ was it hard ... we even had the engine upside down at one >point ... the pipes just wouldn't line up. Anyway, we finally did get them >in, but in the process of tightening them down, one bolt on each head stripped. >I'm sure I didn't over-tighten them ... is the metal of type IV heads unusually >soft? Any ideas what I should do now? I'd take them to an automotive machine shop. If they're anything like 2.0 heads, they're pretty pricey if you mess them up too bad yourself. When this happened to me, I bought some replacement studs (same size, I believe) from VW and took them, the heads, and the manifold that bolts onto them to a machine shop. (Not a repair shop. These guys are the ones repair shops send heads, blocks, cranks, etc. TO.) They didn't seem too phased by it. I think they ground off the broken one and re-drilled and tapped the hole. The other hole was stripped and they filled it in with aluminum (heliarc, I guess) and re-drilled it. By letting them use the manifold, they could make sure the holes were drilled straight and the exhaust would bolt on. It only cost about $20 (if that) and it was worth it to me to let people who do this for a living handle it.

Pat Walsh, '71 Westy, walshp@ippdsgi3.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil