Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Oct 1994 16:44:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:         GELATO@vax88a.pica.army.mil
Subject:      RE: Subject: Westy Q's

>From macklow@sybase.com Tue Oct 18 10:55:52 1994 >From: macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)

>Just out of curiousity, what do you camper owners use >the pop-top for? Added headroom, or do you actually >sleep up there as well? I can't imagine leaving the >top up when it's 10 below. Do you just have it open >when cooking, etc, and then close it (in the cold > >months) when it's time sleep?

>-Jim

Well, there's a lot to be said for the added head- room, alone. Unless you're 6'5" (or otherwise vertically-gifted), the extra headroom goes a long way! Your neck and back don't hurt so much from constantly leaning down (without a pop-top).

We have the small pop-top on our '67 camper. Some- times I wish we had the full pop-top, which I see mostly on buses and later, cos it seems that it might be fun to sleep up there.

When we camped thru New England, NY state, and Quebec in Sept., we hit some cooler weather. There were some nites we left the top down - sometimes it had to do with extremely windy conditions, though.

Snuggled in our sleeping bags (zipped together), with maybe an extra blanket down by our legs, we still usually left the top *up* and didn't even need to put sweatpants on.

The microbuses had vinyl upholstery on those back seats - they felt cold at nite. We needed a blanket underneath the sleeping bag, and occasionally a sweat-shirt on. With the buses, I imagine the cloth seats would be warmer to the touch. But the pop-top itself was not usually a problem! We didn't hit 10 below (Fahrenheit) conditions, though - we don't camp in that type of weather!

Oh, and about cooking - our micro was not equipped with a stove. So we use propane and only cook out- side, not affecting the pop-top usage at all.

Lori