Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Oct 1994 18:44:38 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: Syncro Estasy, spins, ABS

> >BTW, the Synchro is an amazing option. With studded snows it is an > >awesome winter-mobile. Could use ABS, though, as my wife found out in a > >little spin out last winter. > > (Actually, the syncro doesn't need ABS since the viscous coupling tends to > distribute even braking force equally between the front and the rear of the > vehicle.)

Distributing braking force and ABS are two different things. ABS, usually, moitors wheel speeds and modulates the brakes to prevent any of the wheels from locking up. When it senses a wheel slowing down to a stop, it momentarily releases brake pressure on that wheel. Typically, ABS is fitted to 2WD vehicles, like my Corrado, but my friend Kevin has rear-wheel-only ABS on his GMC 3500 4WD. As the name suggests, it keeps the rears from locking, but doesn't affect the fronts. I'm not sure it works when in 4WD, and that brings us to the Synchro.

As I understand 4WD, with limited-slip differentials, the wheel speeds are all related to each other. You can't stop one wheel and have the other three turn, or break one free and spin it. The effect is much like ABS but not exactly the same thing. You can loose traction, but you can't get too far from it on or two wheels at a time.

So you can spin a 4WD vehicle, but you have to loose traction on all four wheels to do it. Most typical spins are conducted by locking the rear wheels, which lowers their coefficient of friction compared to the fronts. If the driver holds the brakes on, the fronts, having more traction and thus generating more slowing force, will try to get behind the rears.

On days of amazing rain, I've gotten my Corrado sideways by stomping on the brake and turning the wheel, but it takes effort and if you just let up, it goes straight.

I remember reading that a Synchro cannot be towed, since the drive train can't be disconnected and the system doesn't like to driven long distances with power flowing in from the wheels. This suggests that the Syncro is always in 4WD. Is that true?

Cheers! Bill

(What do you call a 4 humped camel in Jiddah?

A Saudi Quatro!)