Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Oct 1994 12:17:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:         James Cook <jcook@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: Street camping

On Wed, 19 Oct 1994, Thom Fitzpatrick wrote:

> >Our first time street camping was in the Los Angeles area. We were at the > >DisneyLand and when we came out it was around midnight. Instead of checking > >into a hotel we found a safe neighborhood and slept in our 85 Westy on the > > A safe 'hood? In LA? Doesn't this belong on alt.vw.jokes? :) > > Seriously, tho. I've camped several times when I've gone surfing. I had > totally blacked out windows and a canvas separator behind the front seat. > It was amousing to see the people parked next to us rousted in the middle > of the night and the fuzz didn't even look at us! >

How did you black out the windows?

My approach:

I placed some velcro strips on various parts of the ceiling and windows edging. If I camp, I often attach some rubberized, black window covers like they sell in photo development stores...to black out the room. No light comes through. Velcro makes it easy to put up and take down, and permits the cuts to just fit each window and keep the light out...and in.

I also put a strip of velcro on the bottom edge of the rear ceiling where the air conditioner sometimes goes. At night I can hang one of the black out curtains from that and it keeps the rear most area of the lower bed in total darkness without requireming me to put up the front curtain at the front seats..... which can tip off folks that you're there.

I've also found that I can enjoy a really quiet night in a city setting by using these soft little foam rubber ear plugs.....absolutely silent. In fact... a few times I have slept near an airport and with these plugs, I didn't even hear the planes take off and land.

I find that my sleep is much better with these little gestures....even in a serene remote area. The morning sunlight doesn't wake one prematurely, and the silence is deep.

James