Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Oct 94 16:49:27 PDT
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      Sorry Rest Areas (was Street Camping)

> > Jim Macklaw wrote: > For people traveling in the Western US, some of the Western states > have awesome rest areas; the ones in Idaho and Wyoming have hot running > water. Makes washing one's hair a bit more comfortable. > > Jim!: Are you trying to tell us that the rest areas in the East > ask you to shower and wash your hair with COLD running water!??? > *brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*( - now, where is my flannel shirt? :) > > /martha >

No offense to denizens of the Eastern US, but I must admit that the roads in that part of the country suck, and the rest areas beside these well-worn roads look like something out of a cheap horror movie.

Maybe, having learned to drive in the Pacific Northwest, where (until lately) there's been little traffic to wear down the interstates, I've been spoiled by roads that are generally free of potholes, ruts, workhorses, orange barrels, etc.

Back to the rest, areas, now. I often felt uncomfortable entering rest areas in the Indiana/Illinois/Ohio area. Was it the graffiti- sprayed walls? The phones with the recievers ripped out and missing? The stainless steel mirrors sanded dull in an attempt to grind out someone's amateur etching attempt? Maybe it was the sinks that sometimes had running water, or the stopped-up and overflowing toilets? The feeling that I needed to wash my shoes before having them touch the carpet of my car?

I don't know. But I do know that rest areas in the West are more like campgrounds; people are generally friendly, the facilities are clean and in good repair, they're well lighted, and don't give me the creeps when I roll in at 1AM.

Maybe it's just culture shock.

-Jim "asbestos suit donned and ready, sir!" macklow@sybase.com