Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 1994 10:50:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:         GELATO@vax88a.pica.army.mil
Subject:      Re: Street camping (KOA)

Alexey writes:

>would you stay in a KOA?

Our experiences with KOAs have been extremely favorable, overall. Conditions do vary from one KOA to another, but there's a lot to be said for well-lighted bathrooms, hot showers with no additional fees, laundry facilities, etc.

Before we camped in the '67 Westy, we made a few cross-country trips in a couple of cars over the years. Tent camping was the rule, but we were *not* die-hards about it - if it was too cold or rainy, our choices were a KOA Kamping Kabin or a motel room. The KKs are always more expensive than traditional campsites (and they still look at us funny when we go to register the bus and we don't need full hookups - water, electric, sewage). Sometimes, a motel room might be cheaper than a KK. It has to do with availablity, whether there is a KOA nearby, and if it's late and we are very tired, etc.

We have camped at other campgrounds and some of them have been very nice. We have camped in some national parks, and you live with tiny sinks (cold water only) and only natural light in the bathroom - but the view (overall) is wonderful. We have also camped at some places where facilities are the pits and I would never go back there!

IMHO, KOAs are an excellent choice - but if there's none in the area, we go elsewhere - but you never know what you might get. We still prefer them, with the bus - we still ask for the same site that we would have had we been tent camping! No extra fees involved for us. And no, I don't work for KOA!

Lori