Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 94 17:30:29 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Street camping

My wife and I, pre-marriage/child days used to spend a week or so in Boston each summer, 'camped' adjacent to the common, and right by the Ritz. We then moved to the country, crossed the Charles river and found a big empty field jsut off the riverfront drive. We used to wash in the Ritz, at the Aquarium, Museum etc. I once spent about a week in central London England, with about 60 yup sixty!, VW bus folk trying to sell a van before flying out. Great scene, after 5pm the business district closed up, VW folks started appearing on the sidewalk, cooking supper in the VWs and generally enjoying life. The police would ticket and thus clear one side of the street so people motored into a pay parking lot. When the police got to the otherside those VW folks would simply cross the road and take up the empty spots. We all played musical cars once a day like this. I also sold the van IN the parking lot, where it was test driven. The new owner payed the parking fee on the way out! Anyone know if this still goes on there, used to be at Australia House, then moved to other side of the Thames, near a small bridge.? The best street camping I know of was VW friends on a ski trip at Xmas time. Got into a small Quebec town in the early AM, looking for an outside plug to 'borrow' some electricity from for the heater. No luck at the motels, so they parked next to the Xmas tree in the town square, put a short! extension cord out the window and plugged into the strings of lights. OK but for the little twinkling lights all night! bye tim s.