Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 94 15:58:19 PDT
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: emissions equip for 73 Bus

> So Steve Lindley says: > > > > I need some info on what emmissions equipment my 73 Bus needs to become a > >legal CA resident (it is visiting from NC). It seems to have nothing beyond > > exhaust pipes, and has a single Weber-style carb. I also have a 74 914 > > engine that does have an EGR valve, but also has some sort of Weber-style > > single carb. The people at the two smog places I took it to were basically > > appalled, and told me to junk it. The bus is in pretty good shape and I'd > > rather drive it around some more or sell it, rather than send it to the > >scrap heap. Anybody know what I need to put back, or where I can take it to > > get it smogged, or any other course of action? > Steve Johnson writes: > Sounds like yours is a prime candidate for the smog exemption. Just pay > up to the limit (yours is probably ~ $50.00) to fix whatevery you can > and then you get a sticker that says you are exempt.

Ummm... I wish it were that easy. The ~ $50 limit only applies if all of the equipment is installed. If the emissions equipment has been "tampered with" (and I think the single carb conversion qualifies) the price limits for repair do *not* apply.

> To be CA smog equipped you need the EGR valves (2) that attach to the > manifolds. A heat pump (smog pump) Various hoses and anti-backfire > valve, EGR filter and tubing.

When I took my van in to be smogged for the first time, I was told there were two sets of standards for 73 VW vans in Calif. Mine only needed to pass "federal" emissions requirements, based on the VIN #, and the guy told me I could take off all of the EGR, smog pump, and other crap, which I did. I have never had a problem getting it smogged since, and I am running '72 heads, which have no EGR ports on them. All that is required is a dual-diaphragm distributor, manifold cross-pipe, charcoal filter, stock air-cleaner with preheater setup and the vacuum valve to control it. YMMV, of course... check with the smog shop weenies to see what is required for your bus (bring them your VIN #). Oh, I'm not sure, but I think dual carbs is also a requirement. Most shops won't even hook up the sniffer if you only have a single carb (on a 72-74).

If your engine has a single carb and none of the above equipment, then I would say it will take a LOT of work and $ to get it to pass emissions legally. If your bus is one that requires the EGR and Smog pump like Steve mentioned, then you are *really* screwed. I would sell it and let someone else worry about converting it.

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================