Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Oct 1994 19:00:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      '56 Kombi Progress Update

I took today off to play with the bus!

I welded in hinges for the popout windows I'm adding. The bus came with popouts in the back 2 windows, and I'm converting the rest as well.

I used 1" tight pin hinges, which you can get at any hardware store. I MIG welded them top and bottom to the body, placing them just above/below where the screw holes on the windows are. I then drilled 5/64" holes in the windows and attached them. You also have to drill holes for the latch mechanism to attach to the body. An important point to remember is to make sure the hinge is far enough from the lip in the window frame so you can get the rubber on! Oh, and don't do like I did and weld the hinge shut! D'oh!

Once I ground off the welds and primered them, (and put the windows in) they look exactly the same as the factory ones. The hinges are almost as stiff as the stock ones, and the windows open and close real nice.

Another hint: If you are going to store windows until you get around to putting them in, stand them on edge and don't lay them down. I ended up stacking crap on mine and the one on the bottom got cracked. :( I have a spare, but that means they won't match until I repaint them.

I'm am considering having the frames chromed. I think this would be real spiffy, along with chromed safaris! Anyone seen or done this?

Well, I won't get anything done tommorrow - I'm goin' surfing! Half Moon bay is hip to shoulder high and Pedro Point is head high, no wind, swell from the west. YES! Sorry, don't have my tide table in front of me...

Thom '56 Kombi (with tinted popout windows!) -- >> A low yield nuclear weapon is like being a little bit pregnant. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................ All opinions expressed herein are mine and not necessarily those of TIMS!