Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Oct 1994 07:13:59 -0800
From:         jvanwyk@halcyon.halcyon.com (Jon Van Wyk)
Subject:      To Buy or Not to Buy?

I looked at a '82 Westy at a VW dealership yesterday. The exterior is rust-free with a few minor dents in the metal. The interior seems nice for a camper of this vintage: clean; no mold; nice canvas; decent seat & bed fabric; seats, top & bed work; etc. They're asking $5688 for it (which seems a bit high, tho' they claim it's down from $7999, ha!).

More details: 168k miles 30k on a rebuild New tires of dubious manufacture in front and fair tires of similar manufacture in rear rear hitch front towing brackets

Here are the concerns: 1) Seems like a lot of miles and this could be trouble. What major gotcha's could be lurking?

2) They're gonna compression check the engine. Anything else I should check?

3) The fact that it's towed stuff. Any redflags there?

4) The fact that it's been towed. I hear that's tuff on the trans. Cause for concern?

5) I've not tested the camping gear (aside from the top). Prior owner said it all worked. Should I verify? Tips?

6) Brakes are mushy. Is this typical?

7) Steering has a bit of play and the "sway factor" seemed high. Could this be due to the passenger car tire it's shod with?

8) What's a good price?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

--------- Jon \/an Seattle, WA \/\/yk (jvanwyk@halcyon.com)