Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Oct 94 18:17:47 PDT
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Model Busses

Went to the Swap meet today. Didn't buy anything till I was about to leave, then I wondered by this booth - a guy had little model microbusses in a glass case! Upon closer inspection, they turn out to be "cal-busses", i.e. lowered with wild paint jobs. Still, they are quite nice. They are about 5x2x2 inches, with the top made of plastic and the bottom 2/3 made of metal (I think, could be thick plastic, but looks nice!). They have rubber tires, chrome bumpers, and the wierd part - the side doors look normal, but both halves open as a single piece and slide backward a la breadloaf! These things even RUN! If you pull them backwards and let go, they take off with acceleration quite out of character of their real-life counterparts! I bought what I thought was the nicest of the models, light-blue over dark blue with red VW emblems on the sides and a yellow-orange rainbow on either side going back from the front wheelwells.

The best thing about them was the price... $3 for one or 3 for $6!!!!! What a deal! The guy showed me the box they came in - had 12 busses in it and he said he could sell the whole set for $18.

Wasn't there someone in the UK that was looking for cal busses? Well, if anyone is interested, let me know and I will get back there and buy some more of them and mail them out. People in St. Louis and the DC area can even avoid shipping costs, cause I am going to be in those areas next month. The guy said he is there every weekend, so unless he was lying I should have no trouble getting them.

Cheers, -David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================