Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Oct 1994 10:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin@unixg.ubc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Planning Trip--Tips?

On Sat, 1 Oct 1994, J. Walker wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 94 01:01:30 CDT Tobin Copley said: > > NONONONONONONONONONO!!!! DO NOT let those cv joint boots stay that way!!! > you'll only destroy the joints inside and wind up paying Bubba and Clyde > some outrageous amount of cash for some crappy used parts somewhere in > Nowhere, AZ!!! seriously, buy four new boots (cost about $15 each) and put > them on, after cleaning and re-greasing the joints with 1/2 tube of Valvoline

Oops. I didn't write that part very well. To clarify: I have 1 split CV joint boot (right inner), and 1 upper _ball joint_ boot. I will definitely replace both of them, and the joints themselves if necessary. The others appear to be ok. Are you suggesting I just replace all four CV joint boots as a preventative measure? About ball joint boots: my FLAPS sez you can't get just the boot, you gotta get the joint/boot together. About $35.00, so not that expensive, but I'm basically cheap.

> and get some sort of cb radio to take with you. or better yet, a ham radio > if you have a license. or cellular phone. but the cb is cheaper and if you

Hadn't thought of that before, but I guess that makes sense. Do I need a license for cb radio in the US? > definitely see grand canyon. don't have to stay long, but it IS impressive. > sort of an inverted canadian rockies. :) meteor crater at winslow, az, east > of flagstaff is prett impressive ... if you like big holes in the ground. :)

Meteor crater sounds cool. thanks.

> oh my aching back!!! you'd better get some MUCH better seats for the front > of your bus. see if you can find some later model vanagon seats ... they > should fit ok, and they are MUCH more comfortable. and take lots of rest > stops.

Excellent! Thanks, Joel. Christa has a back problem, so this is REAL important for us. One question, tho': where can we find some (cheap!). None of the wreckers around here have any vanagons, as far as I've seen.

> uhhh ... you want my opinion? you ain't gonna have enough time to do all this!

This is Christa now, and I want everyone to know that I am a technophobe. When I write letters, I revel in the act of addressing the envelope, of sealing it with wax even, of dropping it in the mailbox and being able to think for days about how my comments, stories, intimacies will affect the addressed. There. Now, about only three months. We know, or at least I do, that this won't be enough time. However, huge tracts of central Canada will fly by, as we lived there for 2 years and all but swore never to go back. Also, once we get to winnipeg, after the obligatory visit with the Ukranian aunt on Portage Avenue, we don't have much reason to stop on our way back. I think if we just keep reminding ourselves that three months, though a nice chunk of time, isn't forever, we should be o.k. Also, it's all we could get and still have one of us coming home to a guaranteed job. This is my first time on the net, did I do o.k.? I have to go get Tobin now to show me how to get out of it now. Bye everyone!

> >BTW, bought oil pressure and temp (w/ dual sender) senders and gauges > >yesterday, as consensus seems to be these are a good insurance policy > >against cooking one's engine. Maybe the spare tire/anti-seize lug bolt > >theorem holds here as well? > > uhhhh... don't put anti-seize on the oil pressure sender! it needs to be > conductive (ground) and the anti-seize will sheild the threads from each > other. He Who Knows The Hard Way. :)

Sorry! I meant I was going to put anti-seize on the _lug bolts_, not the sender. I meant that if I've got the gauges installed the engine won't overheat, just like if you've got a good spare and lug bolts that aren't seized, you won't get a flat. Good advise regardless, tho.

Going to try find some seats. Definitely.

BTW: Mike (from IA): we are probably taking Hwy 30 from the Mississippi to Marshalltown (Granda's house!), then pretty much straight north.

Important BTW: We have nothing against the Trans-Canada route from Kenora west. It's just that we've done it a number of time already, It'll be cold, and Joel's right: we'll be under the gun for time.

Until later,

Tobin (and Christa)

Tobin T. Copley | Department of Medical Genetics ======== email: <tobin@unixg.ubc.ca> | Health Sciences Centre, UBC Site /_| |__|:| Phone: (604) 822-7741 | Room F168-2211 Wesbrook Mall O| | Facs: (604) 822-7970 | Vancouver, B.C., Canada V6T 2B5 '-O----O-' '76 VW Camper