Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 94 17:52:49 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Camper/ pop top conversion

>> Hi, van' fans, >> >> The shop guy also has some camper interiors that he sort of wants to clear out. >> What would be a reasonable offer for the stove/sink/fridge stuff? What should I

I've put in an older Westy pop-top that rose straight up, only standing room/windows 4'x4', no bed! Nibbled (? just call me T Rex) a hole in the roof, then........ using some panel beating tools (hammer, dollies) bent up a half inch lip all around to hold the molding/canvas clip, recut the headliner to fit said hole, drilled through the roof for the accordian legs, made some 1/8 steel backing plates to beef up those areas, and IT WORKED OK. There is a certain sense of finality/fatality that occurs when you slice into a clean roof with a jigsaw and say to yourself GAWD what am I doing. No one will bail you out of this one if it goes wrong. May as well circumcise the beast just above the door handles and tell people you're making a convertible. A full length top would be major effort, but not without its rewards. Make sure the quality of this top warrants the maniacal scream of a jigsaw into a sheet of resonating metal as your neighbours shake their heads in disbelief. Make sure you can lift the new top into position, maybe with an army of vertically advantaged persons (tall, to the politically incorrect). Make sure you measure everything every way you can, at least four times. When I took the pop-top I also cut off the section of the roof with the cutout for a pattern. This helped incredibly, and I still messed about for half a day marking out the roof cut on strips of 2" wide masking tape stuck to the top of the bus. Given my druthers I would use a recognizably "Westy" top so your vehicle can pass as a factory camper. This adds sig. $ value. As far as the bus innards go, depending on year/features maybe $100-300 IMHO. Ask yourself "how much would I have paid for the ENTIRE vehicle this came out of?" maybe $1000 for a DOA junker from which you could salvage many more equally useful parts. My bottom line is that half the value in a junked Westy is in the COMPLETE camping package, pop-top and all, including the flooring and aux. heater. Pillage the lot, like a good Viking. Back to the longboats! tim s.