Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 1994 20:46:47 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: Tranny oil

I wondered myself about six-month intervals on Tranny fluid. Could Someone Else be talking about automatic transmissions? In which case, shoot, why not change all that stuff for a gear box? :-)

I'd consider changing transmission oil every 50,000 miles to be museum-quality restoration- I normally do it at 100,000 and 200,000, or every 10 years, or when I buy a used vehicle. Note that this is for VWs and other high quality cars which use Hypoid Oil. Hondas and Saabs and other clever things which use engine oil in the gearbox (lower drag, lower power loss, but more frequent replacement) have 20-30K mile changing intervals in their books and I'd probably cut that in half, just like the wise owner does for engine oil changes.

Since I usually do my own brake fluid replacement, I tend to do this at 1 year intervals. Mostly because of how awful the stuff that comes out after 2 years looks... I prefer it to still look like brake fluid when I'm done with it. Remember that the typical path for moisture to enter your brake system is through the rubber hoses that connect each wheel cylender/caliper to the hard pipes on the chassis. So when the stuff in the resivior changes color, it *ALL* bad.

Stainless steel braid over teflon flexible hoses are advocated by many, but I know of one accident caused by metal fatigue of the stainless steel braid, and I've never heard of an accident caused by rubber hoses. The stainless braid stuff is great on race cars that get frequent inspections. Otherwise, stick with rubber.

I follow the book on cooling system drain and flush interval, mostly because I consider the cooling system to be both less sensitive and less critical. I might have a different opinion if I owned a wasserboxer, thought.

Bill

PS- anyone seen any Vanagon pickups or double cabs for sale out there?