Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 94 14:04:35 EST
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: Oxygen Sensor / Full Throttle Switch

Dave Kautz writes: > > > David Carment writes; > > > Finally when the vehicle was in for emmissons tests, was told by reputable > > VW mechanic that the full throttle setup is marginal at best. He said you > > could remove the device and would not notice the difference. I tend to > > agree with him, at full throttle the difference is negligible; and yes the > > switch is properly adjusted to the cam. > > > > Conclusion - still unclear what the full throttle switch is intended to do > > : advance the curve, richen the mixture or a combination; believe that is > > not crucial but nevertheless a problem. > > > > One solution - glancing through Bentley's at the bookstore; they have > > a detailed description of adjusting and testing the full throttle switch > > and black box - this would be my next step.... > > > > Perhaps some one out there can throw some light on the issue (PhD's not > > required).....DC > > > > > > I am always a little specualtive when mechanics start on the "those engineers > at the factory don't know what they're doing" - I doubt VW would have gone to > the expense of including the full throttle switch if it wasn't necessary. My > recollection of it's function (I'm at work and can't look it up) is that it > tells the computer to richen up the mixture at full throttle. This may not > result in more power but it may help keep peak temperatures and detonation > under control. I'd try and keep it working, if possible. > > Einspritzerly yours, > > Dave Kautz > OK but can you tell us how to test it? The Hayne's is unclear and even though i have replaced the "black box" it still seems to make little noticeable difference. Your idea of peak temps is interesting though. Earlier I had asked if removing the EGR would be detrimental, after all it also reduces peak temps by inserting inert gas into the combustion chamber no consensus on that one either ------DC --

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------