Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 1994 06:43:25 -0800 (PST)
From:         ray landers <rayl@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: generators vs. camping (long and tiresome)

On Wed, 2 Nov 1994, Richard Sellers wrote:

> Well now .... > > I don't feel as though I'm being slamed on, dumped on or otherwise "flamed". > > While this may be boring to some (perhaps most, if so please stand up and > be counted ... state your preference, where's other 100+ members of this > list ;) ), I think I'm reading very significant information here, in > this thread. (besides Ric, Joel, Martha & DC are able to step back and > reload for the next event) :) > > My goal is to provide a means to do something with the members of my > family and to keep the various interests attracted (hopefully in one place). >

i read your first post about the generator, then read the flames on the subject. people seem to be quite upset about this generator.

but it sounds to me like you have a good reason to use it.

i don't know how much it cost, but my guess is that it cost's much less, and takes up FAR less space that set of batteries and the inverter needed to run the equipment you listed.

to some people "going camping" means puting on a backpack and trying to get someplace beyond the last cigarette filter and beer can before unrolling the sleeping bag.

to some it's a 40ft converted greyhound, with every high tech gee-gaw that can be stuffed into it.

i have to admit that, even though i have never been to either extreme, i'm closer to the latter, rather than the former, but i think that either case is valid.

one thing i noticed about your message was that YOU, like me when i've done it, at least cared that some people found the noise annoying, AND you, like me again, took steps to do something about it.

i had a larger vehicle than you do and had the offending generator bolted into a compartment on the side of the bus, but it was still obviously running whenever it was running.

i have "seriously" tried the inverter route

i had a batery compartment on the side that held three "cat" batteries.

i don't remember if i had 750 or 900 kilowatt hours of storage there, maybe it was only 450. they were either 150 or 300 kw/h each, but even at 450 i had alot of power there. i had it setup so that it was a different system from the one that ran the truck part of the bus (engine, headlights, etc.)

at first i had it set up to charge off the regular alternator as a second battery. that cost me a new batery under the hood and a new alternator to replace the ones i burnt out. in hindsight i don't know how i expected it, the stock alternator, to keep those big bastards charged.

anyway, i mounted new high output alternator on the engine for the "cat" batteries. i was lucky that international harvester had a factory made bracket for that exact model of alternator, on that exact model engine. what a coincedence.

the inverter i used was the motor/alternator type. it was a dc motor and an alternator wound on the same armeture. it was a good idea, and the technology has been around for years.

i'm embarrased to say that i don't know what the conversion efficiancy was, but i would guess it was not %50.

anyway, to make a long story short (oops, too late) the inverter system never seemed to last more that three days without starting up the engine and chargeing the batteries, again.

i bought a honda generator and built a sound dampend box on the side of the rig to put it in.

this was back when honda first started selling them in the U.S. so it was pretty much no frills and noisy. but i wanted something off the shelf and easy to get parts for. i had to build my own electric starter for it.

but i wished that i had gone that route in the firstplace. it was cheaper by about three to one and it weighed only a little more than the high output generator, if it weighed more at all.

and it was BY FAR AND AWAY less hassle. especialy after i could start it from inside the bus.

> It's NOT the generator .... It's the power source, stupid!

solar cells and power inverters (the solid-stae ones available now-days will be more efficiant than the old tech monsters i had) will do the job, but at considerable cost in time, space and money.

i would stick with the generator, you made the right choice the first time.

ray