Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Nov 1994 20:17:51 -0700 (MST)
From:         Stuart Hutton <hutton@poly.oscs.montana.edu>
Subject:      Re: Westy 3-Way Fridge Questions

Matt, I don't know if your fridge is like my 3-way in a 1982 diesel westy, but here's what I did. I don't know that anyone else should do it, but it worked for me (that's my disclaimer ... if you blow yourself up, don't blame me).

I did take the fridge out to service the combustion chamber (last night, actually). The thing kept going out. You will need to remove the flue vent to get it out. But, it is not as hard as you might think. The only thing I needed that I didn't have was a 20 or 21 mm wrench (I can't remember which right now). Anyway, after I took the thing out, I dismantled the combustion chamber (about 6 screws) and carefully removed the rubber gasket. I then used brake cleaner to clean the vent tubes and the combustion chamber and also the drain plug. I also cleaned the gasket with this too. I don't think you ought to use penetration oil to clean here. Ok, I squished the rubber a few times and then put the thing back together carefully making sure not to make new holes in the rubber. Next, I cleaned the back of the fridge especially the air vents. Finally I took an air hose and blew high pressure air through both the o2 inlet and the exhaust. Oh, don't forget to clean out under the fridge when you take it out. Who knows, you might find a couple of dead mice there :). You'll know what I mean by the word gross when you do get the fridge out.

What I found was that my gas does not cut off all the way from the tank also. Did I fix it? Nope, I figgured it worked well enough till then, why mess with it. You'll probably smell some propane when you disconnect the gas pipes. I sure did.

When you have your combustion chamber apart, click your piezoelectric starter to see if you get a spark. If you don't, I can't help much there.

Ok, the results for me were this: My fridge now runs all night and I even can see a bit of water vapor (steam) coming out the exhaust ... at least this after noon I did.

It seems that the manual says that you can tell if the thing needs cleaning by looking at the flame. If it is blue, things are ok. Mine was blue and things were not ok. But it seems ok now.

You will also find a bit of info in the bently manual. I got mine through interlibrary loan. Also there is a manual on these fridges which is about 10 pages or so.

Hope this helps.

Stuart Hutton