Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 94 15:37:47 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Lunch with Bentley

> > You are right I do have it backwards (electronic dyslexia). Now the point > about the O2 sensor being switched off at full throttle is interesting. > .basically the black box must be nothing more than a fancy relay between > the switch and the sensor. Indirectly the fuel is enriched by shutting > off the sensor, yes? > > Still no explanation why there is not electricity flowing through the > switch as per Hayne's (would the sensor have to be activated ie above > 300F-hmmmmm?) > > I chose not to block the EGR valve but have experimented with both open > and closed modes and > found fuel consumption and head temp to be the same; still as you say its > disruption may have synergistic effects....DC > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > David Carment > School of International Affairs > Carleton University > Ottawa, Ontario > K1S 5B6 > voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 > fax - (613) 788-2889 > Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >

I forgot to mention before the testing procedure outlined in Bentley for the switch. Sorry, but you didn't miss much either. They say to remove the leads and use an ohm-meter on the switch, just checking for continuity. But what if it is only the 0-1 volt signal being switched? That wouldn't give much of a thrill to a test light or be particularly visible on a non digital multimeter. According to the schematic for 1979 CA models (the latest I have) the control unit terminals going to and from the switch are #'s 3 and 18. If there was a voltage on one of those, but not at the switch, would imply a connector or wiring harness problem, right?

Back to EGR. I, too, have run both with it on and off (when that filter thingie rusted out) and noticed no difference in mileage or driveablility. I don't have a cylinder head temp. gauge so I'm in the dark about any change in running temp.

Good luck with the mystery switch!

Dave Kautz