Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 1994 20:59:22 -0600 (CST)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Thermostat/Too cool

A while back I posted a query about my '84 vanagon running too cool. It wouldn't go over the first line on the temp gauge. I replaced the thermostat, but had trouble finding one that matched the one I took out. It's still running way cool (even cooler now), and I'm at a loss. Should I put another thermostat in? Can anyone who has replaced their thermonstat tell me what they bought? This one was from NAPA and the one they had listed was really wrong. I went through all the boxes until I found one that matched exactly -- it was for a turbo volvo or a Porche something or other. Is there anything else I should think about that might cause this? Is there anyway to make sure the thermostat is moving once it's in the vehicle (I check it in a pan of water on the stove to make sure it works before I put it in, but it seems like it has to line up with a couple of things and I worry that it's not sitting straight in there and it's not opening and closing.) Why would it stop working? The one I had in there originally also works fine in the pan on the stove and doesn't look that old. Any war stories about this out there? HELP! It's starting to get cold -- was under 30 degrees all day today and I have to have some heat.

My under the rear seat heater is leaking too, so it's important that I get enough temperature up front to survive while I pull that one out. Is there a way to replace these? Would a radiator place know what to do with them?

Thanks for any help.

-- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@med.umn.edu> U of MN Med School Admin 6-5379