Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 1994 13:29:09 -0800 (PST)
From:         Patrick Tower <poser@leland.stanford.edu>
Subject:      I lied, and Problems with Ms. Pickle

First of all, I lied about leaving the list. I have begun deleting more (entertaining, but less useful) messages, but I wanted to be kept informed about the West coast gathering.

The problems with Ms. Pickle ('73 Safare Custom Camper), are several. A few weeks ago, the clutch cable broke on the way to work, and since, despite warnings in several different places, I had not purchased a spare, I simply drove it to the shop (sans clutch--Muir's instructions for driving w/o a clutch came in handy) and got it replaced. Once this was done, they discovered that the throw-out bearing was being pushed _into_ (I think) the pressure plate. This necessitated a tow from Palo Alto to San Francisco ($100, half of which will supposedly be reimbursed by the garage) to be fixed for the _third_ time by the garage that put in a new clutch shortly before I bought the bus. Hopefully they used decent parts this time--the second time was because of a defective throw-out bearing. If it weren't under warranty, there's no way I would still have them working on her.

Then last week, as I was about to go to S.F. to pick up a rental camera lens (a big mutha that wouldn't fit on my Vespa), the throttle cable broke. I pumped the gas to set the choke, and the pedal stayed on the floor. This is where friends came in handy. One drove me to EssEff to pick up the lens while another went to Kohlweiss to pick up the new cable. When I got back from The City, I replaced the cable and was set to go, except....

In the next day of driving, it got increasingly more difficult to find first gear, and eventually, even second. On the way back from Little Big Game (Cal-Stanford fumble-fest), I had to start out in third a couple of times (great for the engine, huh?). So last night, I managed to nurse her back to the shop in S.F. on the off-chance that the problem is serious enough that it is covered under the drive-train warranty included when I bought the bus (from the above-mentioned garage). Now I am waiting to hear what it will cost me to get her back. My suspicion (hope?) is that it's the shifting train, since it doesn't pop out of gear once it's in; it just won't go in easily. But the main operating part of the shifting train is inside the tranny case.

It's costing me $60 to find out what the problem is, and if it is the rear shift train connection, they estimate about $175 parts and labor. The mechanic said when I dropped it off that if it was drivable, it was unlikely that the problem would be covered under warranty. My question: Does this sound to youse guys like the most likely problem, and does $175 sound like a reasonable estimate if it is? I guess given this estimate that it isn't nessesary to pull the engine, etc. to get at it to fix the problem. Given my history with this garage, I'm wondering if I might be able to get better/less expensive service closer to home, if I can nurse her back down south.

Time to get back to actually _earning_ my paycheck, but any input/advice would be welcomed.

-Patrick poser@leland.stanford.edu