Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 1994 16:51:24 -0600 (CST)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      EGR question

About 3 years ago, I heard a loud bang from the back while cruising down the highway. Actually I wasn't cruising, but hobbling at 35mph because there had been a sudden and distinct loss of power 20 minutes before and the oil temperature gauge had gone way up; it was getting dark and it started to snow and I wanted to reach the next town which was about 30 miles away.

I stopped and checked things, but couldn't see anything. Since the engine was still running, I resumed the odyssey, dropped the bus off in front of a garage that Saturday night and came back the following Monday morning.

Turned out that a valve (don't remember which one) on cylinder #3 was tight. That was all. As for the loud bang, apparently it was the EGR filter, the flat box connected to the exhaust system, that had blown off. The mechanic told me not to worry about it and that I didn't need a new one. He just plugged the end of the broken pipe at the exhaust, but not the end going up into the engine compartment.

Who can solve this mystery? Why would a tight valve cause the EGR filter to fly off? Maybe there is no causality relation here, just pure coincidence? (Did I tell you about the time three (3) things broke down within one minute: Engine, turn signals, and steering? Those *were* related and whoever guesses what the problem was gets to call him/herself Vanagon Stud/Studette of the Week.)

Second question about the EGR system: for all I know, my EGR stuff may still be working although it is now sucking in fresh air and not exhaust fumes. Could that be a problem? What would you do?

Thanks!

-- Sami Dakhlia Dept. of Economics Washington-University-in-St.Louis In theory, communism works. In THEORY. dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu -Homer Simpson