Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Nov 1994 01:59:59 +0000
From:         "P.J. Kenny" <gremlin@iol.ie>
Subject:      EuroVan Fog Light Switch

Responding to msg by RGOLEN@umassd.edu () on Wed, 23 Nov 9:43 AM

Hi Ric.

>For you EVers who are contemplating putting fog lights on your EV, >I have the part number for the fog light switch...the one which >will fit next to your rear defrost switch, etc. Its: > > 535 941 535 01C

Do your US-spec Transporters (I'm NOT going to call them Eurovans. Yeccch.) have the three-way switch for the rear foglight? If so, don't use them to power the fronts too, as the circuitry in the factory-supplied unit does not have a three-way (front AND rear) facility. Power is not passed through the second detent on the switch, only the full-on setting. I confirmed this with my local VW garage after spending a couple of days decoding their official service manual. There is another version of the switch which does work correctly but, over here anyway, it is not a standard item.

My front spot lights, happily mounted on the bullbar, work through a second fog light switch right beside the main switch and only come on during full beams. This drove the garage people *completely* bananas and had to be finished by myself ... :(

A-ha! Even though it's 2am, I've just gone down to my Tranny to check the switches (the things I do for you people) and guess what! *Both* my foglight and front spot switches are ... 535 941 535! So I'm right! If you are powering through this switch, use the terminals '+' and '83a' as positive and negative respectively. That will make the switch work as OFF-ON-ON instead of the foglight's OFF-OFF-ON.

Enjoy. If I'm not making sense it's because I'm tired. These late nights are *killing* me. Clearer explanations may be available in the morning.

Shponfirkle, (Tazmanian Bushrat word - can mean anything!)

P.J.

*** Ennis, Ireland. A weird place to live. *** Viva the Bushrats! *** Go Dale, #3! *** ... four wheels on my wagen ... '91 Transporter T4. *** Got 95 pieces of mail today. 94 were from this listserver. *** 1 was from Joel. Doesn't that say a lot?