Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Nov 94 10:15:14 MST
From:         "Darren Lane" <dlane@acs.ucalgary.ca>
Subject:      adv req:dropping eng to fix oil cooler

Hello fellow subscribers:

I recently discovered a steady oil leak on from the top of my 68' camper's engine. It has been diagnosed as a problem with the oil cooler. To get at the problem we need to drop the engine. My mechanic who rebuilt my engine (new heads, valves but still original bottom) one year 10k miles ago has agreed to fix it for 2 hours labour including the installation of new (used) heater boxes and main seal.

Is there anything else I should have them do while the engine is out. It is a stock 1500 with 1600 heads on it (this is possible isnt it). I am looking to have more and better heat as well. The present heater boxes give off major toxic fumes that burn my eyes. The engine tends to backfire as well and I am wondering if the potential hole in the heater boxes is the cause of this. Along with the backfire, the engine seems to have more of a putt, putt noise, especially noticable when driving next to barricades and going up hills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren