Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 02 Nov 94 09:02:29 CST
From:         "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: generators vs. camping (long and tiresome)

On Wed, 2 Nov 94 05:47:28 CST Richard Sellers said: >I don't feel as though I'm being slamed on, dumped on or otherwise "flamed".

good. cause that wasn't my intent at all. i WANT a generator in my bus ... which is why i bothered to type all that stuff in. :) i personally like the idea of the 'other' things that a generator can be used for: running power tools (like circular saws and such) off in the woods ... maybe building a cabin or something?

but i can understand other folks not wanting to listen to me ... cause i don't like to listen to other folks in campgrounds. i guess my whole point (badly worded, i'll admit) is that you (richard) and john are both right.

>this thread. (besides Ric, Joel, Martha & DC are able to step back and >reload for the next event) :)

Moi? :)

>I'm somewhat surprised, however, about the sensitivity and response of this >topic but when I made a comment about being sensitive and considerate of >people who are homeless (aka sleeping in cars, vans, etc.), there was >barely a ripple along the telecommunications lines. I'd venture a guess

it may be that generators and such devices are costly items that are direct action type of things. that is, you CHOOSE a generator or you don't. being homeless is not exactly something that people choose for themselves. it's a state of being that 'happens' when everything in your life goes wrong at the same time. and a generator or noise or inconsiderate camper in a huge winnebago who plays his stereo (or tuba? :) loud late at night is something that most folks feel they can (ought?) to do something about. 'getting involved' with the homeless is a very different proposition. it means becoming vulnerable, opening up your life to the problems of another person. and most of us are not very willing to do that with strangers. a sad commentary on the america of today.

but what i thought i was stumbling around trying to say was that i think it's ok to use generators as long as you realize that there are people who don't care for them. i guess the whole thing is to try to be considerate of others and to try to understand that someone else IS trying to be considerate. i'm reminded of the winnebagos who show up for the football games here ... parking free in the college parking lots, running their generators all night long with the music and the alcohol flowing freely, having a good ol' time. then, before they leave in the morning, they dump their waste tanks in the parking lot. real nice folks. shining examples.

one of the funny things i thought about with reference to the comment about going over the next ridge and finding more people ... it seems that humans have always been doing that: getting away from the crowd. this whole country was spread across the continent by people who wanted to get away from the crowded cities in the east. probably most countries were. and folks talk about sending colonies to mars or the moon. or write stories about other worlds and such. anyway, i thought it was kinda humorous that after 200 years we are still trying to find that other ridge. :)

shall we all move up to canada? :) i hear it's quiet and peaceful ...

joel <no, i ain't awake yet.>