Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Nov 94 16:54:58 pst
From:         puusital@mv.us.adobe.com
Subject:      Speaking of tops

Speaking of tops, has anyone replaced or considered replacing the canvas portion of the poptop with one of the many breathable/waterproof synthetics (GoreTex nylon, etc.) used in modern tents?

The notion intrigues me because here in our neck of the woods (PNW), there is no such thing as dry weather camping. Even in summer, dew will dampen the canvas to the extent that I am loathe to close it for fear of mildew. Spray-on water repellents help a bit, but not when the rain is coming horizontal to the bus at 30 mph, or falling straight for more than a few hours. I've found it necessary to use a rain fly (tarp) over the pop top to keep the upper bunk habitable.

Needless to say, this is annoying.

There's a fabric store here that sells all flavors of high-tech outdoor fabric and if I remember correctly, the Bently manual takes you through the the process of replacing the canvas.

Anyone else put thought into this?

Paul