Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Nov 94 10:06:57 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: multiple questions

On Tue, 29 Nov 94 09:56:31 CST martha rubin said: >I'm going to need to replace my antenna soon. Do any of you have >an electric one? Any special info or tricks on the placement?

i put an electric antenna in my 88 bus and it wasn't that difficult at all. assuming that your antenna is the same kind/place as my original (in the slope of the nose, on the driver's side, behind the headlight), i also wrote up some instructions (i KNOW i put them around here somewhere ...) for changing the antenna ... it's probably out in the stuff on the gopher. if anybody wants me to repeat it, let me know.

>My '81 westy is difficult to start the first time each day (after >that, no problem at all). It seems the colder it is, the harder it >is to start - sometimes I need to crank it 3 or 4 times before it takes.

1. you sure you are not putting your foot on the pedal? :) it's not like the beetle. ;) seriously, it could be a bad thermo-time-switch ... a gizmo on the top of the engine (underneath those round intake manifold pipes in the middle of the engine) ... if it goes bad (or gets unhooked), the computer can't tell that the engine is cold (and so, doesn't "choke" the fuel supply). i can't remember how to test it, but it's a possibility.

joel