Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Nov 94 13:48:08 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: More wear index

> David Carment writes:

> Just looking over these figures there seems to be an inverse relation > between engine wear and known engine-life length. In other words, we all know > diesels have a capacity for long engine life... aircooled vanagons on the > other hand have been known to last less than 100,000 before > overhaul....and Porsche engines? I am wondering if there are intangibles > built into each engine type that the wear index does not encompass or > alternatively the VW engineers had anticipated knowing that for example > Diesels would take more punishment and therefore made them extra strong...DC > >

I very readily agree that there are many intangibles that affect engine life. The wear index gives only a relative measure of how much friction is occuring between piston and cylinders. As you point out, air-cooled vanagons have a reputation of needing an overhaul at 80,000 to 100,000 miles. I think we will find most people agree that it is cylinder head / valve failure that drives this, not worn out pistons, rings and cylinders. As you have undoubtedly read here on the list, a common failure symptom of the diesel is blow-by. This is a result of wear in the area that the wear index does measure. The reputation for long life that is associated with diesels is a result of the heavy-duty nature of a) truck engines b) the Mercedes Benz and Peugeot automotive diesels and the fact that they have a relativly low specific power output for their displacement and that power is usually developed at a low relative rpm. Not all diesels have a reputation for long life - take the Oldsmobile diesel V8 for example. IMHO there are other factors that help diesels last: the fuel is a lubricant rather than a solvent, the absence of a spark ignition system help keep them in tune and running efficiently - not dumping copious amounts of heat into the head due to improper timing, incorrect mixture, etc.

Back to intangibles: I'd be willing to bet that a wasserboxer engine that never had a bout of overheating due to cooling system maladies would last a very long time. Type IV engines that don't develop valve problems have very long lives before piston/cylinder wear becomes apparent. One neighbor of mine put 170,000 miles on his '72 before the heads needed to be done. The pistons, rings and cylinders were not changed and now have over 200,000 on them. Another neighbor took apart the engine in his '78 at 120,000 because he thought it ought to be worn out. He found nothing wrong and put it back together with new exhaust valves "just in case". The engine subsequently found it's way into the double bus (two buses welded together) and was used until he changed it out for a Ford V6. Total accumulated mileage is unclear but it's up there. 914 VW/Porsches have a reputation for very long engine life - their heads may last longer since it's likely they spend less time at full throttle than a bus.

I think it would be both fun and interesting to collect and organize list data on accumulated mileage and repair frequency. I even know of a "data/ statistics pimp" who could probably suggest some good ways to organize it...

Kautz