Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 94 11:10:13 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Bosch 009 and CA smog

> > Jeff P. Schneiter writes: > > > > > > I see that the Bosch is mentioned alot and was wondering what its smog > > story is for CA. > > Illegal for any VW in which it was not original equipment. Most VW's that > I know of have at least one diaphragm on the distributor (mine has two) > and they are required to pass emissions. The 009 is all mechanical advance > and has no diaphragms. > > -David > > ============================================================================= > David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) > SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) > schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) > ============================================================================= >

I second the comments of David Schwarze. The '72 does need to have a two-hose vacuum diaphragm to pass smog check. If you had a Bosch 009 installed and the timing set to 5 degrees ATDC, where the smog check guy is going to put it, if it isn't there already, you will not get anywhere near the amount of advance required at higher engine speeds. This would a) make your bus really slow b) give lousy gas mileage c) all the fuel burning at the wrong time and not being used to make the car go is turning into heat absorbed by your engine - making it run hot, the enemy of long engine life.

Dave Kautz (used to have a '72)