Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 94 11:50:44 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Interesting Bus conversions

> John Tauxe writes:

> I have often thought of combining two busses (the front and rear 2/3 of > each) to make a stretch bus. There is some talk here lately of one of these > having been sighted in Palo Alto, or something. It seems that it would be > rather straightforward sheet metal work. Has anyone else done this? > > I did see in Los Alamos a '63+'64 stretched by one window panel, and a tall > roof out the top. This guy is a hermit electrical engineer for the Lab > there, and has the whole thing instrumented to the hilt, with propane > heater, stove, tanks, and even a shower inside. Pretty neat. > > Another dream I have is to plant a bug top on the roof of my Westfalia, so > that you'd have the windsheild like those old Greyhound busses, and more > glass all around. I just can't give up the upper bunk, though. >

The Palo Alto double bus was built and is owned by Otmar Ebenhoech, who is a young and somewhat migrant crazy. He is VERY talented with the welding torch and has built some other cool stuff besides the bus. The bus was built by cutting a '72 just behind the sliding door and a '73 just ahead of the sliding door and welding them together. He later built a high roof of his own design for full stand up headroom through-out. Originally, he powered it with a two liter bus engine from a '78 but later adapted a small Ford V6. He let me drive it once and it is a CHORE to steer and stop. Originally he kept the separate colors of the two buses - the front one was blue/white and the rear one red/white but last time I saw it, he had painted the entire bottom half green.

Dave Kautz