Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         2 Nov 1994 14:56:40 U
From:         "Norman Leong" <norman_leong@synoptics.com>
Subject:      Pete's generator question

This has certainly been an interesting thread to follow.

Pete was wondering about some noise abatement tactics for his generator, which I was pondering during my lunch; don't you have an EV MV w/ the folding bed? I'll admit up front that I'm not certain how big a Honda EX generator is, but is it small enough to fit in the back under the bed/package shelf (or even further up, under the rear bench) Anyway, the point being that you would al- ready have some insulating qualities there, all you need to do is get some sound absorbing acoustic tiles or something to further muffle the noise, and then vent exhaust out of the vehicle. Just a thought.

Marcus Grant's comments about queuing up for a final ascent in the Fr. Alps reminded me of our experience at Half Dome (Yosemite); there, too, one must queue up to pull oneself up the last 100 yds or so up a steep granite wall. What a view from the top though! There's also a little rock outcropping at the top with nothing below for a couple thousand ft. and I saw this absolutely fearless woman walk out to the very edge and look straight down! (was it you, Martha, 'cuz she was wearing flannel :) )

Personally, a good time to go camping (well, car camping anyway) is spring and fall, or even winter, out here in Cal. Fewer people and better chances for choice campsites. We went camping after Labor Day in the EV and it was great, except that wifey-poo thought it was going to remain warm through the night (this was at Big Basin SP, a GREAT place to go camping, btw). NOT! After thawing out poo and a 15 mo. old, we headed for home, less than an hour's drive away.

Norman