Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 1994 21:45:08 GMT
From:         "P.J. Kenny" <gremlin@iol.ie>
Subject:      Transporter Room Three.

Responding to msg by dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com (Dave Kautz) on Tue, 29 Nov 3:51 PM

>>...we all know diesels have a capacity for long engine life...

>...a common failure symptom of the diesel is blow-by...

My Transporter, a 1991 1.9L diesel T4 (as no doubt you all know), has completed its 102,000th mile today! To say I'm feeling smug is an understatement. The Tranny has never received any attention to the engine bar routine servicing and I am not one to be gentle on the go pedal. :)

(Joel said once that he didn't think Ireland was so big. Well, it's not. I like driving in circles!)

I have two questions.

1. What is 'blow-by'? Something Porsche 911s do on the outside lane? :)

2. Has anyone experienced the continual wearing of the rubber bushing on the bottom of the front shock absorber on (bleccch) Eurovans? My Tranny has gone through five front shock rubbers in 40,000 miles. My 'friendly VW garage' informed me that VW do NOT supply the bushing as a separate item - only as part of a complete shock. (And that WAS a complete shock.)

The symptoms of dead bushings are a pronounced juddering of the (usually) front passenger-side wheel and an incredibly high wear rate on the shoulders of that tyre. (Less than 500 miles before it's worn very noticably.) When accelerating away, the Transporter pulls with an erratic shake that disappears quickly.

As I mentioned once, a friend of mine with a similar '91 Tranny has identical problems with his suspention. In fact, the latest absorber in my van is one that was on his! He bought new ones and I was 'given' the old ones by the garage.

Put on your thinking caps, people. This is a strange and unique problem.

Shponfirkle from the Bushrat, ;P.J.

*** Ennis, Ireland. A weird place to live. *** Viva the Bushrats! *** Go Dale, #3! *** Transporters - as seen on Star Trek.