Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu,  3 Nov 94 08:37:11 EST
From:         psellers@ha.osd.mil (Pete Sellers)
Subject:      RE: Pete's generator question

I do have the Eurovan, Weekender with the folding bed, etc.

The generator will fit in the space under the bed (but not under the bench).

I've looked at several alternative configurations but I'm considering some variable constraints.

As I alluded, there are quite a few of us in the family so the EV functions frequently as a people carrier (even when we're not going camping). There are times we need the space to take baggage and 'stuff'. Being able to move items in the rear and under the bench is important.

I'm keenly aware that young-people may change interests with little advanced notice. Camping may not be the 'popular' thing soon or next year.

While the wife and I do go off by ourselves, we may not take as much 'stuff' as when we go with the family (the generator normally does not go with the two of us). I don't want to modify the EV for permanent suitability to use the generator from inside the EV.

I've also looked at some other choices such as battery packs, etc. but decided (with coaching from The Matriarch) that I don't want to turn the EV into a giant "power source" on wheels. I even have considered a trailer but the thought of functioning as a mobile, mini- boulder dam seems to get away from the prime purposes for the EV (pleasure, comfort and the ability to 'get-away' on short notice. ...Hey, kids are nice and enjoyable but, now, they come with one critical option, their parents :) ).

The trailer idea has not been completely ruled out but this past summer we were (I was) 'convinced' to tow a boat then some Jet-Skis. I'm letting 'the riders' know that there are some limits to the toys we take. :)

* * * * * * * * * * Pete Sellers "Constant And Never-ending Improvement"