Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Nov 1994 07:30:32 -0800 (PST)
From:         ray landers <rayl@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: fuel mileage

On Wed, 2 Nov 1994, DANIEL HOUG wrote:

> Hi group- > I would be very curious (and appreciative) if people would post their > fuel mileage they are getting with their various rigs out their. It > would give us all an idea of what to expect from different > engines/configurations as we continue our search for that ultimate > van. It also is a good overall indicator of engine health. Those of you not bogged > down in the U.S. nomenclature of *miles per gallon* are welcome to post km per > liter or whatever you use. We can figure it out -- it'll be our punishment for not > going metric when we had the chance. >

i have a '93 eurovan, automatic, fuel injection, white with wife and miniature daschhound and often with grandchild.

in the city i am getting 10 to 12 mpg.

on the highway, at about 55 to 65 mph, i am getting about 15 to 16 mpg.

power is very good. i ALWAYS use premium octane fuel.

i am NOT pleased with the fuel milage. i think it should be much better.

the mechaninc at the VW dealer tells me that everything is fine and that i just drive in such a way that i get bad milage.

i accelerate gradualy, i don't speed up and slow down alot, and i have always gotten much better milage than was expected with other vehicles i own or have owned. this includes trucks, busses, cadilacs, older VW vans, buicks, station wagons, etc., etc.

maybe he's right, but i would like to know how the computer controlling the engine is programmed. i would addapt my driveing style to agree with it.

i am very interested in getting messages that i can print out and take to him as stories of how other people are doing with their eurovans.

ray