Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Nov 1994 07:01:29 -0800 (PST)
From:         ray landers <rayl@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: mpg enhancements

On Thu, 3 Nov 1994, Thom Fitzpatrick wrote:

> [...]

i'll try to keep this short again.

the angle of the stock slope on the back of the 911 looks like it is optimized for a speed around 100kph (i would guess that this is somewhere in the 55 to 60 mph range).

i think there's some spiritual atraction to the number 100, specialy on speedometers. and since a 100 in the U.S. is bigger that a 100 anywhere else, it means that you will be moveing faster.

at higher speeds the length of taper on the trailing cone shaped rear of the body being pushed through the fluid (air in this case) needs to be extended out to a greater distance to allow the air (fluid) time to return to the space it has been forced out of for the body to pass through the fluid.

if you increase the speed beyond the point where it can rush back into the vacency left buy the moveing body, a low pressure area will develop and that low pressure area will tend to retard the passing of the body through it.

sort of "sucking" on the back of the vehicle and slowing it down.

the tail.

the theory of what the tail helps was developed by somebody named kham, and that's why for a while there were vehicles with what were known as a "khamback".

the idea being that it would form a cone shaped turbulant area directly behind the vehicle that would act like the body itself extended on back to allow the air to smoothly return to the hole punched in it by the passing vehicle. this would reduce, not eliminate but reduce, the "suck" tending to hold back the car at high speeds.

i'm not sure, but i think that kham was/is from pakistan or india. i'm not sure maybe somebody else remembers beter than i do.

ray

rayl@netcom.com From one of the "HEAD KOOKS" at ftp violet's ansi art from Rhinoceros Kitchen Ray ftp.netcom.com pub\rayl check the README file there ______ .(((() | | (_ '\) | | __/ \()! .-|______|. ____(|___/ |! :__|____|__|____| : |! :|_____________| _;_/\__|! :| |/ ____)! :| | \!""""! :| _________ |\__/)____! #|_| |_| (/! ! ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''