Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Nov 94 14:10:59 EST
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: First oil change

Dan Houg writes: > > > > > > For those of you out there who bought your vehicles new, when did you do > > your first oil change? After 1K miles, 3K, 5K,...or the VW recommended > > 7.5K? > > > > I ask because the dealer salesperson backed up VW's recommendation of 7.5K, > > Conventional wisdom says to change the oil every 3K or so (or 50-60 engine > > hours), except a lot of folks do their first change at 1K because of > > various metallic bits floating around... > > > > So what do you all think? > I've had one new vehicle in my life so I'm not an expert but that > won't stop me from giving my opinion! > > Drain the oil on that new engine after 200-300 miles and you'll see > the finest 'metal-flake' suspended in the oil you've ever seen. Get > it out of the engine ASAP! > > BTW, when breaking in that engine, vary the engine speeds (slow > acceleration and deceleration) frequently > for the first 1000 mi or so. This puts a strong vacuum in the > combustion chamber during deceleration and pulls oil by the > not-yet-seating rings and valve guides thereby providing more > lubrication during breakin. > > I realise engine break-in lore is akin to discussing religion and politics. > All ideas entertained! >

Here is the advice we followed for VW aircooled vanagon engine breakin. The advice was provided by a VW mechanic; a FLAPS mechanic; and the Hayne's manual.

1. Add single grade 30 weight oil only and run engine stationary for exactly 30 minutes; no more no less. Vary the engine speed but do not exceed 3000 rpm.

2. Change both oil and filter (using 30 weight oil again).

Steps 1 and 2 may be unecessary if you buy from VW as they may have already carried out initial break in (we bought GEX).

3. Drive for 500 miles; do not exceed 50 mph, do not lug engine but also keep rpms variable.

4. At 500 miles change both filter and oil using regular multigrade 20W50.

5. Change filter and oil at recommended intervals thereafter (3000miles).

Effects of procedure - compression after initial 30 minute breakin: mixed with none exceeding 120 psi compression after 1000 miles: all cylinders exceed 145 psi.

The implication is that this procedure allows the oil scraper ring and the two compression rings and the bearings to seat properly. It may also allow thetwo oil seals to seat properly. DC ---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------