Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         7 Nov 94 15:31
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      Mystery Samba roof leak solved.

Hi all,

Gotta tell you about my latest problem solution.

Problem 1.

Serious rain leak on loading door side near the last Skylight window on my '64 Samba. You would at first think it was the skylight window seal - nope, it had a new one. You might think it was leaking past the rollback sunroof - nope, it has a new one which fits perfect and it would leak when it rained and the bus wasn't on the move. Anyhow the sunroof is bigger than the whole it covers so the rain would have to go up-hill to get inside.

As a last resort you might think hmm, how about the screws that hold the awning rail on to the roof (campers only) - YEP. The awning rail is held to the roof by screws simlply screwed into the roof. Unknown to me holes for the original mounting screws had rusted big so the rail had been relocated a centimeter futher right, new holes were drilled and the rail was attatched via the new screw holes.

Dork deal: The dork that had carried out this relocation had neglected to even think about sealing up the old holes! Because the old holes were covered up by the awning rail I didn't know they were there - but the rain did!!

What the roof looked like with the rail removed:

Soulution:

I removed the rail, cleaned the backsurface of it. I then filled the big holes with silicon sealant and put the rail back on - the silicon oozed out. I tested it with a hose-pipe and there was no leak - even the interior and floor had dried out now!

Lee. L.S.Griffiths@Physics.Salford.ac.uk

King pins - $150 each! - no way...

...way!