Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 94 17:33:33 PST
From:         hugie@lindy.stanford.edu (John Huguenard)
Subject:      Re: Bobo Iceskater

Well, way back when I was a drugstore delivery boy in high school, I had the fun job of driving around South Bend, Indiana to deliver nice drugs to all the folks around this mostly flat midwestern town.

One day in the middle of winter I was driving the 71 (or so) breadloaf down a nice straight country road, probably too fast. It was snowing, and the streets were slippery, but not icy, as far as I remember. I was tooling along at probably 35-45 MPH and emerged from a part of the road surrounded by trees to a part with long, open yards. A nice northerly blast of wind caught me by surprise, and suddenly I found myself, no kidding, two thirds of the way into someone's front yard, probably about 100 ft, in about 1 foot of snow, and UPRIGHT.

Amazed, and probably a little dazed, I just started it up and drove right back out to the street and went merrily(?) on my way.

I guess I didn't learn, because later in college I did a nice 360 with my then girlfreind with my (now don't flame me ;) 66 econoline. This was more due to black ice than to cross winds though.

Rather than slow down when driving in snow, I just moved south....

and then west.

John